Re: Forwared to me

From: Jason Downs (downsjat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 14:03:05 PDT

    In message <199807131546.LAA03184at_private>,
            "Michael H. Warfield" writes:
    >        My contacts at Sun were concerned that I was revealing too much
    >information in this advisory (the complete text of which is attached below).
    >My concern was that I was revealing too little and would fail to convey
    >the magnitude of the problem or run into people who would be unable to
    >reproduce the problem and discount it.  That appears to be the case here
    >so I will provide a few more hints and guidance to help reproduce this.
    >(Gee I feel like that faint voice in the game "Adventure" that asks you
    >if you would like a hint. :-) )

    Of course, everyone could simply pay more attention and they wouldn't be
    as surprised by 'little things' like finger taking out their systems.

    revision 1.4
    date: 1996/12/08 13:29:19;  author: downsj;  state: Exp;  lines: +14 -6
    Disable matching by default if a domainname is set, adding -M to reenable it.

    Over a year and a half ago I fixed this in OpenBSD.

    Granted, matching is still enabled if a YP domainname is not set.  When you
    have tens of thousands of users in the local password file, it can still cause
    problems.  (But at that point, you have a few dozen other things slowing
    down as well.)

    --
    Jason Downs                (360) 694-3110
    downsjat_private

    Sending unsolicited commercial email to this address may be a violation of
    the Washington State Consumer Protection Act, chapter 19.86 RCW.