Re: Verity/Search'97 Security Problems

From: Jay Soffian (jayat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 14:28:47 PDT

    +--Jay Soffian <jayat_private> once said:

    |Obviously, you want to either make verity_path_post something less
    |obvious than ".orig" or you want to suid the wrapper to some
    |unprivledged user and make the ".orig" file executable by only that
    |user.
    |
    |Duh.

    Last message, I promise. My brain isn't working today. suid (or sgid)
    is a terrible idea. Using something other than '.orig' works, but
    that's security by obscurity. Probably, you are best using a <files>
    section (or equiv if not Apache) to protect the '.orig' binaries.

    j.
    --
    Jay Soffian <jayat_private>                       UNIX Systems Administrator
    404.572.1941                                             Cox Interactive Media