Re: EMERGENCY: new remote root exploit in UW imapd

From: Perry E. Metzger (perryat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 20:04:20 PDT

    Craig Spannring writes:
    > C should not be used for trusted programs.

    Unfortunately, there are not really good open source alternatives. GCC
    is everywhere.

    One thing that I wonder about, though, is that several years ago, some
    guy in the U.K. did a bounds checking version of GCC. It would be Very
    Neat if someone were to track that down and get the egcs people to
    make it available.

    In the long run, I'm hoping for Java front ends for GCC that make it
    possible to do reasonable open source programming in a reasonable
    language. Until then...

    Perry