Re: EMERGENCY: new remote root exploit in UW imapd

From: FanLi Tai (taiat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 18 1998 - 23:00:59 PDT

    On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Craig Spannring wrote:

    > Anonymous writes:
    >  > In some ways, it is depressing to find this new hole.  Programmers are
    >  > still making the same mistakes they have made for years.  Doesn't anyone
    >  > learn from the past?  Can strcpy() ever be used safely?  Perhaps the
    >  > software development community, and certainly those writing network service
    >  > daemons that run as root, should discontinue using *any* C library
    >  > functions that do not include bounds checking information, such as
    >  > sprintf(), strcat(), and strcpy().  Yes, they *can* be used safely but the
    >  > potential for misuse is too great.  When will we learn?  When?
    >
    > C should not be used for trusted programs.  The lack of true arrays
    > with array bounds checking alone makes it too hazardous.  How many
    > buffer overflow attacks would we hear about if the trusted server
    > programs were written using a language with bounds checking like
    > Modula-2 or Ada?  Zero.

            First, let me say I'm not a programmer.  I may know a little
    something about it, but that's all.  Can't code worth a bean.  One reason I
    can't code is because - where can you find information about safe coding?
    They certainly don't teach it in classes...  There weren't any books on it,
    you basically either have to be very security conscious and actually sit
    down and have a long hard think about how each and every function works to
    even have a basic idea of where there are problems.  Nothing a beginner can
    do very well.
            I've seen the question asked before, but haven't seen any good
    pointers towards information on "safe programming".  Is there one?

    -Tai
    --
    Software suppliers are trying to make their software packages more
    "user-friendly".  ...  Their best approach, so far, has been to take all