Re: Verity/Search'97 Security Problems

From: Joe D'Andrea (jdandreaat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 20 1998 - 14:46:18 PDT

    Regarding the infamous ResultTemplate security hole where you can supply
    something like ../../../../../../../etc/passwd in the URL and GET it,
    here's a SearchScript workaround I just dreamed up using filtered searches:

     <% if (InStr(Request.ResultTemplate, "..") > 0) OR
    (InStr(Request.ResultTemplate, "/") = 1) Then %>
      <% Request.QueryText = "" %>
      <% Request.ResultTemplate = "" %>
     <% endif %>

    If anyone sees any holes in this that I haven't covered, PLEASE speak up.

    I've tested it under Search'97 IS 2.1 (which we use, and for which there
    is no patch yet). How it works: If I see ".." anywhere in the ResultTemplate
    or "/" at the start of it, then I reset QueryText and ResultTemplate right
    away. Downstream, I look for blank queries and, if I find any, I just pretend
    that no search was performed and show the default search page again.

    I've informed Verity Technical Support of this workaround as well.

    Please feel free to write me with any questions pertaining to the
    above snippet.

    --
    Joe D'Andrea                                    AT&T Laboratories
    PGP Fingerprint: DF 7C 75 57 28 ED 52 7F  5B 77 A7 32 C8 9E 0C D2