Re: EMERGENCY: new remote root exploit in UW imapd

From: Peter Jeremy (peter.jeremyat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 14:49:54 PDT

    On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:13:31 -0400, Allen Smith <easmithat_private> wrote:
    >On Jul 16, 11:04pm, Perry E. Metzger (possibly) wrote:
    >> One thing that I wonder about, though, is that several years ago, some
    >> guy in the U.K. did a bounds checking version of GCC.
    >
    >http://www-dse.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rj3/bounds-checking.html
    >
    >This is for 2.7.2. Be forewarned that it results in _very_ slow
    >programs

    AFAIK it is no longer maintained.  It places a number of unfortunate
    restrictions on the code (it's incompatible with setjmp()/longjmp()
    and signal handlers require special treatment).  I'm also aware of the
    following fairly serious bugs:
    - str[n]casecmp() doesn't work when either string contains characters
      with the MSB set (I have submitted patches to fix this).
    - side-effects in multi-dimensional array references are evaluated
      multiple times.  In particular `foo[y++][x]' increments y by 2.
      (I can see why this is occurring, but not how to cleanly fix it).

    Peter
    --
    Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremyat_private
    Alcatel Australia Limited