Re: smal bug in icmpinfo

From: Rich Lafferty (laffertyat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 26 1998 - 20:59:42 PDT

    Quoting Adrian Dabrowski (atroxat_private) from Sun, Jul 26, 1998 at 10:18:15PM +0200:
    > There is a smal bug in icmpinfo (by Laurent Demailly; available from
    > sunsite):
    >
    > whenever it writes an entry to a log, it first tries to resolve the name..
    > but if the name-resolve returns an eg. icmp_xxx_unreachable.. than it will
    > perform an name-resolve for that again .. and again .. and again..
    >
    > this will become a nice logfile-size...
    >
    > bye. adrian.

    I'm not sure I'd call that a bug. Icmpinfo logs ICMP; if you tell it to
    log at a certain verbosity, then it will. From its manpage:

           -n     Avoid  name queries - just give IP addresses.  (use
                  this option when running unattended on name  server
                  hosts (to avoid possible looping))

    Also, from the README:

      IMPORTANT NOTE : *If* you machine is running a named (is a name
      server) you MUST USE -n when leaving icmpinfo unattended, to avoid
      some possible looping, when icmpinfo tries to resolve an ip in an
      unreachable domain. [this problem of domain generated icmps has been
      worked upon... but I found no satisfary solutions, suggestions welcome,
      maybe a solution for v1.12 !]

    If you choose to disregard the info in the documentation, then you
    experience unexpected behaviour.

      -Rich

    --
    IITS/Computing Services  | "How should I know if it works? That's what