Re: Fwd: Any user can panic OpenBSD machine

From: Perry E. Metzger (perryat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 20:21:20 PDT

    "Angelos D. Keromytis" writes:
    > In message <19980727180938.41315at_private>, Michael Fuhr writes:
    > >
    > >disclosure, isn't it?  I for one was appalled at the simplicity of the
    > >exploit in what's claimed to be one of the most secure operating
    > >systems around, especially since it doesn't appear to be a problem
    > >with the other BSDs.
    >
    > While I'll agree that this is a very lame bug (in the sense that it
    > shouldn't exist), one can hardly call it an exploit.

    Dunno. If your ISP was running on OpenBSD it would be pretty damn
    annoying.

    Personally, I find the constant claims that OpenBSD is more secure
    than FreeBSD and NetBSD annoying. We all do extensive security
    work. This is just another example of a fairly common situation -- in
    which OpenBSD has a bug that other BSDs don't. Sometimes it is the
    other way around, too, but you'd think from the propaganda that it was
    always, or even usually, OpenBSD that was the most secure system.

    Perry