Re: Fwd: Any user can panic OpenBSD machine

From: Michael Jennings (mejat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 28 1998 - 11:55:36 PDT

    On Tuesday, 28 July 1998, at 12:21:55 (-0600),
    Theo de Raadt <deraadtat_private> wrote:

    > But those are
    >
    >       REMOTE ATTACKS.

    True, but the point remains.  Despite the fact that *BSD and Linux
    are more often used on single-user workstations than large servers,
    both OS's are gaining acceptance in the latter arena.  As such, it
    is wise to be aware of methods for local users to Do Bad Things (tm).

    If a single user on a 500-user system can crash the machine by
    running a simple program, even without getting root, the sysadmin is
    likely to have 499 royally-annoyed users wanting answers, and he'd
    best have some to give if he likes his job.

    > Surely you can tell the difference between a remote attack and a local
    > attack.

    Of course.  But local exploits are still exploits, except in the case
    of single-user-login systems, which I believe the free *NIXes moving
    away from.

    > Ob-BUGTRAQ-Posting:
    >
    > If you are logged into an NT box, you can type CTRL-ALT-DEL and take
    > the system down.

    Ok, so NT is a bad example.  :-)  Such a post WRT Linux would be
    equally stupid.  However, we're talking about stuff *local users* can
    do, not just someone who has access to the console.

    Michael

    --
     "I've been looking for a Savior in these dirty streets,
      Looking for a Savior beneath these dirty sheets."