Re: Fwd: Any user can panic OpenBSD machine

From: Timothy J Luoma (luomatat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 28 1998 - 12:19:45 PDT

            Author: "Perry E. Metzger" <perryat_private>
            Date:   Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:21:20 -0400
            ID:     <199807280321.XAA08929at_private>

    > > While I'll agree that this is a very lame bug (in the sense
    > > that it shouldn't exist), one can hardly call it an exploit.
    >
    > Dunno. If your ISP was running on OpenBSD it would be pretty damn
    > annoying.

    Sure, annoying, but an exploit?  Is BugTraq going to start publishing all
    local attacks and crashers?

    > Personally, I find the constant claims that OpenBSD is more secure
    > than FreeBSD and NetBSD annoying. We all do extensive security
    > work. This is just another example of a fairly common situation -- in
    > which OpenBSD has a bug that other BSDs don't. Sometimes it is the
    > other way around, too, but you'd think from the propaganda that it was
    > always, or even usually, OpenBSD that was the most secure system.

    I've seen a lot more exploits for Free-/Net- BSD posted to BugTraq than for
    OpenBSD.

    I haven't seen any remote exploits for OpenBSD in recent memory, nor any
    root exploits local or remote.

    Saying that this _one_ example "proves" that OpenBSD is not more secure than
    Free-/Net- BSD doesn't really seem rational.

    TjL

    --
    I go offline on 31 July 1998
    Mail delivered to "luomatat_private" will eventually be