Re: Fwd: Any user can panic OpenBSD machine

From: Cy Schubert (cschuberat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 28 1998 - 13:41:59 PDT

    > On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Theo de Raadt wrote:
    > > Whoopty doo -- another way to crash another operating system has been
    > > reported.  This is twice now that a 'local' OpenBSD crash has made it
    > > to bugtraq as if it were a typical exploit.  Does this now mean
    > > bugtraq is open ground for reporting any way to crash a multiuser
    > > operating system?  I bet there are plenty of ways to crash any
    > > operating system, if you have a local account.
    >
    > There are operating systems -- KeyKOS and MVS, for example -- in which
    > making this impossible is an explicit design goal.  I do not believe
    > there are any known local-DoS exploits for either of these two OSes.

    There have been no published MVS exploits, however I have seen two
    exploits over the years and one TSO UADS exploit (pre-RACF/ACF2/Top
    Secret).  Regarding exploits of locally written APF authorized
    programs, I've only seen one.

    What makes MVS (and VM) so impervious to attack is that the S/390
    hardware doesn't rely on a stack, making effective buffer overruns
    considerably more difficult.  (A little off topic :)

    Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuberat_private
    ITSD                                   Cy.Schubertat_private
    Government of BC