Re: Fwd: Any user can panic OpenBSD machine

From: der Mouse (mouseat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 05:24:16 PDT

    >> Shouldn't the internal sum better be 64-bit?  After all, FFS is able
    >> to do files > 2^32 bytes...
    > read(2), etc. return the number of bytes transferred - so it must be
    > within an unsigned machine word.

    In practice, within a signed word, given the amount of code that tests
    for <0 instead of ==-1.

    > On OSs where the ABI supports large machine words than 32-bits, then
    > files over 2/4GB are indeed possible.

    I don't quite get what you mean.  What does the amount of data
    transferrable in a single read/readv have to do with file size?
    There's nothing difficult about files >4G on a 32-bit machine, provided
    a >32-bit signed integral type is available for off_t.

                                            der Mouse

                                   mouseat_private