procmail workaround for MIME filename overflow exploit

From: Brett Glass (brettat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 12:47:11 PDT

    John Hardin has just updated his procmail "kit" to shorten long file names
    on MIME attachments. This should prevent potential exploits in mail clients
    such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscape Mail, and possibly Eudora
    (there's still some debate about whether Eudora is susceptible).

    John's procmail filter kit can be found at

    http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/procmail-kit.html

    You can view his "recipe" for solving the problem at the end of the file

    http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/html-trap.procmail

    I have no idea whether his solution is bulletproof (we should all probably
    review it to be sure!), but it certainly looks good. Admins: it'd be a
    fantastic idea to install this NOW to protect users, unless anyone knows of
    security holes in procmail.

    --Brett Glass