Re: Microsoft says email patch flawed

From: J Edgar Hoover (zorchat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 22:02:56 PDT

    >Microsoft has warned that a patch posted yesterday intended to fix a
    >security hole in its Outlook Express email program does not fix a related
    >problem.

    Once again the case for full disclosure is proven. Given weeks to fix this
    bug, and they botch it. Meanwhile, within days of a vague public notification
    a few individuals post procmail filters that effectively shut  down the
    exploit.

    During the weeks they had to fix this bug, the vendors never bothered to look
    at the other obvious places to try an overflow, yet within days of the open
    discussion several readers of bugtraq did.

    There is more security expertise on this list than any single company has on
    staff. Posting a bug here often gets a quicker and more complete patch than
    the vendors provide. Also, people here can look at the problem from many
    perspectives, where the vendor may have "tunnel vision", seeing only the
    options they have with their specific product.

    Additionally, posting a vulnerability in a product from company A may help
    company B find that they have the same problem. A public notification puts
    them on equal footing, rather than giving one company longer to fix their
    product.

    An open notification will lead to faster release of patches that actually
    work, and you may not even be asked to [Agree] to several pages of legal crap
    that says "We don't know if it works, we don't care, use at your own risk,
    don't ask us, and don't tell anybody."

    Some vendors remain silent when told about a bug, and hope the person
    notifying them does too. Others release incomplete or broken patches. It seems
    the only time we get fast solid patches with good documentation is when it
    involves a free OS with an open development group.

    If we leave to the vendors, many would ask that we remain silent until the
    buggy product becomes obsolete. I have personally seen vendors not notify
    their customers of remote root bugs for as long as a year after I told them
    about it. Next time, they get a cc: to the bugtraq post.

    If they can't stand the light of public scrutiny, maybe they shouldn't be
    using socket calls that open our machines to the public.