Re: FD's 0..2 and suid/sgid procs (Was: Crash a redhat 5.1 linux

From: Pavel Kankovsky (peakat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 30 1998 - 10:50:02 PDT

    On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Joe Zbiciak wrote:

    > Alan Cox actually is the first person who highlighted this sort of
    > vulnerability to me.  Does anyone know if the OpenBSD approach is
    > sufficient for avoiding these sorts of attacks (eg. feeding an
    > suid/sgid program bogus stdin/stdout/stderr)?  Also, is a similar patch

    Hmm. In theory, yes. But OpenBSD implementation seems to have a
    potential small hole. It should abort when it cannot fix everything
    but it does not. PERHAPS, a temporary resource starvation could break
    it.

    > in the works for Linux?  (I ask, because I'm a Linux user myself.)

    I made such a patch for 2.0.~34. (Applying to 2.1 can't be hard.)
    Get http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/1998week28/0391.html.

    (Warning: there exists an older version which has a serious--and
    rather stupid--bug. Don't use it. Kudos to Mitch Blank for discovering
    it.)

    You need to have Solar Designer's secure-linux patch installed or do some
    manual tweaking to use it.

    > And, is there any overwhelming reason why you wouldn't make the same
    > guarantee that fd's 0..2 are open for all processes, rather than just
    > suid/sgid processes?

    It would confuse some programs and probably violate standards.

    --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
    "You can't be truly paranoid unless you're sure they have already got you."