remote exploit in faxsurvey cgi-script

From: Tom (dodat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 07:41:24 PDT

    Hi!

    There exist a bug in the 'faxsurvey' CGI-Script, which allows an
    attacker to execute any command s/he wants with the
    permissions of the HTTP-Server.

    All the attacker has to do is type
    "http://joepc.linux.elsewhere.org/cgi-bin/faxsurvey?/bin/cat%20/etc/passwd"
    in his favorite Web-Browser to get a copy of your Password-File.

    All S.u.S.E. 5.1 and 5.2 Linux Dist. (and I think also older ones) with
    the HylaFAX package installed are vulnerable to this attack.

    AFAIK the problem exists in the call of 'eval'.

    I notified the S.u.S.E. team (suse.de) about that problem.
    Burchard Steinbild <bsat_private> told me, that they have not enough time
    to fix that bug for their 5.3 Dist., so they decided to just remove the
    script from the file list.

    I advise you to *immediately* remove/chown the cgi-script;
    script-kiddies will
    just rewrite their 'phfscan'...

    Bye,
            Tom

    PS: Look at my homepage for more informations about my packetfilter
    analyser.