Re: Object tag crashes Internet Explorer 4.0

From: Paul Leach (paulleat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 13:57:39 PDT

    On the contrary -- Jason's claim was correct. Your example uses a different
    object tag and it completely different in nature from the bug that was
    fixed: the bug had to do with excessively long file names in HTLM tags,
    yours has to do with infinite recursion. Yours can not be exploited to run
    untrusted code, unlike the other.

    The possibility of infinite loops and infinite recursion in HTML has been
    discussed on the lists before. Trying to detect and prevent them is an
    instance of the "Turing machine halting" problem, and it is well known among
    computer scientists to be impossible.