Re: Solaris 2.5.1/2.6 fingerd bug

From: Casper Dik (casperat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 12:52:27 PDT

    >> Fiji (jfay) wrote:
    >> > try finger @host@host@host....145 times.... This should run the # of
    >> > processes in excess of 1500 and shoot the system load up to at least 13.5.
    >> >
    >> > You can also do a finger @hosta@hostb where hostb is a machine running
    >> > 2.5.1 or 2.6. Now this has not been confirmed on Solaris (x86). The bug id
    >> > is 4161606 but yet there is no patch available as of today.
    >>
    >> Yep, same thing happens for x86 running 2.6.
    >>
    >> ~james
    >
    >For what it's worth, the two 2.5.1 machines I currently run don't have
    >this problem.  Both were installed using 2.5.1 HW:4/97 media and then
    >subsequently brought up to Generic_103640-21 via the current (ie. a few
    >weeks ago) 2.5.1_Recommended kit.  The machines are a sparc 2 and 10.

    There's actually a quite simple workaround (BTW, one finger can't
    create 1500 processes; there's a buffer of 512 characters and you
    get at most 512 /(1+lenghtofhostname)*2 processes.)

    The quick fix is to set the number of processes per user to a acceptable
    value by editing /etc/system:

            set maxuprc = 50

    This will limit the number of processes per user (not including root, but
    including nobody) to a small value.  For certain setups, you can pick
    a larger system.

    If you dont' want to reboot, it's bit harder, but try:

            adb -wk
            v+0x1c/W<num>

    Casper