Re: Eudora security bug - executes URL

From: Aleph One (aleph1at_private)
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 14:03:24 PDT

    On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Stout, Bill wrote:

    > > Problem is the way Eudora 4x interacts with MSIE 4x and javascript.
    >
    > Please detail that on the list, since many of us can't enter NYT.  Maybe
    > Aleph One can also expand on that.  I would expect that any program with
    > integrated Internet capability would have similar security problems.

    Note: I had no access to the exploit for this vulnerability so I have not
    clue if this is really how it works. Its also been over a month since I
    looked at the IE HTML control and my memory is not the best. I do not
    consider myself a Windows programmer. Finally, I don't have the time to
    test this conjectures. Adam Shostack was the person that made me aware of
    the potential problems of using the MS HTML component.

    As far as I can tell the problem is that Eudora fails to turn off
    JavaScript/Java when displaying HTML messages with the IE HTML components.

    As you may or may not know, IE is little more than a wrapper around the MS
    HTML rendering component. Many other vendors, including Qualcomm, find it
    easy to reuse this component to display HTML instead of having to write
    their own HTML rendering engine or to license one from a third party.
    The HTML components has many options, including whether to turn on or off
    things like Java/JavaScript.

    In essence the exploit send a HTML email message to the user with an
    executable attached to it. The message has a link in it that executes
    some JavaScript (I am assuming onClick, I dont know why they would not use
    onLoad instead and do away with having to client on anything) which in
    turn executed the attached file.

    The are no security checks performed as this is a local file and is
    trusted.

    It should be noted that any products using the HTML component may also
    fail to turn of things like Java and JavaScript and may be vulnerable
    to similar attacks.

    Aleph One / aleph1at_private
    http://underground.org/
    KeyID 1024/948FD6B5
    Fingerprint EE C9 E8 AA CB AF 09 61  8C 39 EA 47 A8 6A B8 01