Re: Eudora executes (Java) URL

From: John D. Hardin (jhardinat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 15:12:02 PDT

    On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Stout, Bill wrote:

    > Eudora Pro 4.0 and 4.0.1 will execute Java from a URL.
    >
    > "The Eudora flaw came to light just a little more than a week after
    > security researchers announced a similar problem in versions of
    > Microsoft's Outlook and Outlook Express e-mail programs and in
    > Netscape's Mail program. The Eudora vulnerability was brought to light
    > earlier this week by Richard M. Smith, president of Phar Lap Software, a
    > Cambridge, Mass.-based maker of operating system software and products
    > for Microsoft's MS-DOS, the operating system that predated Windows."
    > http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/business/docs/internet07.htm
    >
    > "You may have read recently that there is potential for unauthorized
    > programs to be run on your system through the use of hostile Java
    > scripts and/or applets. This problem affects users of Eudora Pro Email
    > 4.0 and 4.0.1, as well as Eudora Pro CommCenter 4.0 and 4.0.1. Note that
    > Eudora Light users and users of previous versions of Eudora Pro are not
    > susceptible to these Java attacks..."
    > http://eudora.qualcomm.com/security.html
    >
    > Bill Stout

    Actually there were rumbles about this on bugtraq as far back as February.
    I remember because it prompted me to add active-HTML tag mangling to my
    procmail filter set.

    BTW, just in case you haven't heard yet,

    <PLUG TYPE="shameless">
    Drop by http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/procmail-security.html
    </PLUG>

    Comments solicited.

    --
     John Hardin KA7OHZ                               jhardinat_private
     pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5