Re: Sendmail up to 8.9.1 - mail.local instroduces new class of

From: Kari E. Hurtta (hurtta+zz2at_private)
Date: Wed Aug 12 1998 - 01:50:22 PDT

    Brett Lymn:
    > According to Jonathan Stott:
    > >
    > >A better fix would be to use procmail, or /bin/mail, or some other
    > >program for local mail delivery.
    > >

    > A lot of people have been recommending putting procmail in to perform
    > filtering of mail as an adjunct to sendmail.  I did a quick grep for
    > the notorious strc{at,py} commands in the procmail source and found
    > quite a few.  I have not analysed the code but people putting in
    > filters now to prevent the recent problems with mime et al could be
    > (I said _could_be_) leaving themselves open for a more subtle exploit
    > later on via procmail overflows.

    It is also possible to make sure that mail.local (or any other
    mail delivery program) can be used only by sendmail:

    Assuming that program was setuid root:
            1) drop setuid bit

                    chmod u-s /usr/libexec/mail.local

            2) add

                    define (`LOCAL_MAILER_FLAGS',LOCAL_MAILER_FLAGS`S')

               to your *.mc file before

                    MAILER(local)

               -line.

               Alternatively add just

                    FEATURE(local_lmtp)

               before MAILER(local)
               -line ('S' flags is already defined by FEATURE(local_lmtp)
               so it do not need to be added.)

               That S flag causes that sendmail calls local mailer as root.
               So mailer itself does not need to be setuid root.

                    If you use

                            FEATURE(local_lmtp)

                    /usr/libexec/mail.local does not need to be setuid root.

    / Kari Hurtta