Re: DoS in Flowpoint 2000 DSL routers

From: Jason Ackley (jasonat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 12 1998 - 08:57:55 PDT

    On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Tom wrote:

    > My biggest gripe with fp2000 was the unrestricted "read only" access to
    > telnet and snmp ports.

     Yes, I was actually beating my head in for a little bit going 'OK, I know
    they HAVE to let me setup a telnet password, just where is it..' then it
    turned out that no such thing exists..

    I was able to convince them to let me get the MIB for it, which the way
    they manage it with the Win GUI does some strange things (such as only one
    snmp community), so I am going to give that a quick overview and see if
    there is any way to do bad things with it.. There are parts in the MIB
    that hold the 'logged in' info, as far as what managment station is
    currently accessing it and if it has authenticated itself with the system
    password.. This could be interesting area to investigate for a hijacking
    of the router..

    > FP has been very responsive to customer feedback and v1.4.3  supports access
    > lists. There was also a nasty memory leak in earlier versions that would cause
    > the router to die for no apparant reason, they granted access to a beta
    > version that fixed it some time ago.

     Good show, been wanting ACLs for a while, as the checkbox for 'Internet
    Firewall' that only disables spoofed packets just doesnt cut it on the Big
    Internet with smurfers and such.. I have not had any problems so far
    running 1.4.1, I currently have 70+ days of uptime on it..But I did come
    under an ICMP attack not long ago and there was nothing that I could do
    but watch and grit my teeth.. Maybe I will upload 1.4.3 today..

    If anyone thinks the 'Internet Firewall' checkbox is protecting your
    network, think again!

    > Looks like 1.43 will only take X chars.

     Same thing for 1.4.1, they seem to have made it a little more sane..

    --
    jason