Re: APC UPS PowerChute PLUS exploit...

From: Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughesat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 12 1998 - 13:27:13 PDT

    >Rick Perry <perryat_private> writes:
    <much deleted>

    >I'm sure there are far more possible explits than this ...
    >Don't run PowerChute, it seems.
    >
    >Anyone know of a good replacement for use with an APC BackUPS ?
    >:(

    Not wanting to pay $150 for software that I didn't need, I wrote a very, very
    simple replacement for powerchute. It shuts down the machine after a fixed
    (in my case 5 min) amount of time after the power is off. It does no
    power signal monitoring, no quality monitoring, no monitoring of any kind.
    If the power has been off for 5 minutes, the machine shuts down. It is
    possible that if you have the power off for 4 minutes, and then comes back
    on for a second, then off 4, then on quick, then off 4 again, that you could
    kill the battery, but I consider this very unlikely (in our environment).
    It's small and simple.

    You will have to make your own cable.

    Details on the software (very small), and the cable are available at
    http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~doug/ups.html

    There are other free implementations of APC management software as well.
    I don't know where they are. They seem to move. One I'd read about appeared
    to be much closer to powerchute, but since mine worked-for-us, I didn't
    investigate further.