Re: Compaq/Microcom 6000 DoS + more

From: Shiloh Costa (costaat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 09:39:20 PDT

    Enclosed is my open reply to Compaq/Microcom:

    At 10:31 AM 14/08/98 -0500, you wrote:

    >The Compaq 6000 has no security problems.

    Yes it does.

    >The problem is that ALEC does not know how to deny telnet to specific Ip
    >addresses.

    No. The problem is that your username/password login process is poorly
    written.

    Did you read this? If so, please read it over 10 times, and then have
    someone else rephrase it for you:

    >   The denial of service problem is this: there is no timeout when typing
    >in the username and password - from what I have seen, a user can make a
    >telnet connection to the MNC or PRI card and leave the connection open
    >indefinitely. If the user only has one connection open, then this is not
    >problem. However, the system will not accept more than 4 telnet connections
    >at one time. Thus, a malicious user/hacker could open 4 telnet connections
    >to either (or both cards) and deny all legitimate connections to the card.
    >   The other problem is that the system does not close the connection after
    >a specified number of invalid login attempts. A program such as 'crack'

    If I want to make 4 subsequent telnet sessions to the Login/Username
    prompt, it will stop the rightful owner from accessing the machine unless
    he powercycles it.  That is a denial of Service.

    Also, the login and password attempts should time out if no data is
    received over a certain amount of time.

    Futhermore, after 3 incorrect password entries, it should reset and cause
    the person to re-telnet the box.

    This is standard with the Ascend Max product we use, as well as, the
    Computone Powerrack we use.

    >That was the solution we gave him, he did not like it. Maybe it's too much
    >work.

    No, maybe its not fixing the real issue which is an improperly written
    Login/Password interface.

    >The above mentioned solution should be standard policy for any system
    >administrator, that has internet access on his network. Not only for the
    >6000, but any server's or any
    >communication equipment that is on a given network.

    You're 100% wrong.

    >Jim Kerwin
    >COMPAQ - NAC
    >Networking Support Engineer
    >*E-Mail: James.Kerwinat_private

    Jim..

    Rather than cause futher embarassment to your company, please get
    engineering to put some modifications in the next kernel release.

    Shiloh Costa
    Senior System Administrator
    MDI Internet Inc.