Re: RSI.0008.08-18-98.ALL.RPC_PCNFSD

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 08:13:01 PDT

    > It is partially vendor responsibility to fix the current distribution as
    > well as make their users aware. After contacting both Redhat and Debian
    > about this information, it was very disconcerting to see they were
    > unwilling to work with us on patching the problem. Both contacts expressed

    So if you find a hole in a random application on a random ftp site that
    runs with a random vendors product its the vendors problem. Frankly I think
    you are making a laughing stock of yourself

    Was it microsofts problem Eudora had a hole. Should Microsoft run out and
    audit every visual basic application on the web ?

    > That said, I assure you that RSI continues to try to "do the right thing".

    For an extremely strange definition thereof.

    If you had a few extra cluons you might have phrased it sensibly as

            "pcnfsd is not shipped with most Linux distributions but if you
             have obtained and installed it be aware that the standard Linux
             version from Sunsite.unc.edu is vulnerable"

    Every bogus claim you make brings the entire security tracking community
    into disrepute and reflects badly on the people who do care about doing
    things right.

    Alan