Re: Serious Security Hole in Hotmail

From: Jeff Mcadams (jeffmat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 04:38:14 PDT

    Thus spake Tom Cervenka

    >We have just found a serious security hole in Microsoft's Hotmail
    >service (http://www.hotmail.com) which allows malicious users to easily
    >steal the passwords of Hotmail users. The exploit involves sending an
    >e-mail message that contains embedded javascript code. When a Hotmail
    >user views the message, the javascript code forces the user to re-login
    >to Hotmail. In doing so, the victim's username and password is sent to
    >the malicious user by e-mail. (see
    >http://www.because-we-can.com/hotmail/default.htm for demo)

    This is a variation on the Spartan Horse announced by Dan Gregorie over
    a week ago, and covered on news.com on the 14th.  The Spartan Horse is
    available for viewing at:
    http://www.thetopoftheworld.com
    The news.com articles, is at:
    http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,25274,00.html?st.ne.fd.gif.d

    The variation is that the Spartan Horse, as design on the
    www.thetopoftheworld.com site mimicks the Windows95/98
    Dial-Up-Networking dialog box.

    This wasn't originally sent to BUGTRAQ because it doesn't exploit a
    specific flaw in programming code in any software, like this "Hot"Mail
    exploit.  Perhaps that was an oversight on Dan's and my fault, but I
    did want to set the record straight on the origination of this idea for
    Dan's sake.
    --
    Jeff McAdams                            Email: jeffmat_private
    Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848