[paulat_private: [cert-advisoryat_private: CERT Summary CS-98.07]]

From: Paul Boehm (paulat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 12:06:52 PDT

    ----- Forwarded message from Paul Boehm <paulat_private> -----

    Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:27:04 +0200
    From: Paul Boehm <paulat_private>
    To: bugtraqat_private
    Subject: [cert-advisoryat_private: CERT Summary CS-98.07]

    ----- Forwarded message from CERT Advisory <cert-advisoryat_private> -----

    Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:21:28 -0400
    From: CERT Advisory <cert-advisoryat_private>
    To: cert-advisoryat_private
    Subject: CERT Summary CS-98.07

    CERT* Summary CS-98.07
    August 26, 1998

    The CERT Coordination Center periodically issues the CERT Summary to
    draw attention to the types of attacks currently being reported to our
    incident response team, as well as to other noteworthy incident and
    vulnerability information. The summary includes pointers to sources of
    information for dealing with the problems discussed here.

    Past CERT Summaries are available from

           http://www.cert.org/summaries/
           ftp://ftp.cert.org/pub/cert_summaries/

    Recent Activity
    - ---------------

    Since the last CERT Summary issued in June 1998 (CS-98.06), we have
    seen these trends in incidents reported to us.

        1. New Tools Used For Widespread Scans

           It is nothing new for intruders to launch widespread scans to
           locate vulnerable machines. However, a new, publicly released
           intruder tool called "mscan" scans networks for many different
           vulnerabilities. The CERT/CC has received numerous reports
           indicating that this tool is in widespread use within the
           intruder community.

           We encourage you to review CERT Incident Note IN-98.02, which
           describes mscan and its recognizable signature in more
           detail. (A description of incident notes appears in a later
           section, New CERT Security Documents.) This incident note is
           available at

           http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-98.02.html

           The tool uses DNS zone transfers and systematic scanning of IP
           addresses, either alone or in combination, to locate
           machines. Once machines are located, they are tested for a
           number of vulnerabilities.

           Additional useful information about mscan can be found at

           ftp://ftp.auscert.org.au/pub/auscert/advisory/AL-98.01.mscan

           courtesy of the Australian Computer Emergency Response Team
           (AUSCERT).

        2. Buffer Overflows in Some POP Servers

           The CERT/CC continues to receive reports that the buffer
           overflow vulnerability described in CA-98.08 is being exploited
           in some Post Office Protocol (POP) servers based on QUALCOMM's
           qpopper implementation of POP. Remote users can gain privileged
           access to systems running vulnerable POP servers.

           For more information about the vulnerability, please see the
           most recent version of the advisory at

           http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-98.08.qpopper_vul.html
           ftp://ftp.cert.org/pub/cert_advisories/CA-98.08.qpopper_vul

           and take appropriate action.

        3. Multiple Vulnerabilities in BIND

           In two previous special edition CERT Summaries, CS-98.04 and
           CS-98.05, we discussed several attack methods being used to
           exploit vulnerabilities in BIND. CS-98.04 and CS-98.05 are
           available from

           http://www.cert.org/summaries/CS-98.04.html
           http://www.cert.org/summaries/CS-98.05.html

           Intruders are still exploiting vulnerabilities described in
           CERT Advisory CA-98.05. We encourage you to review CERT
           Advisory CA-98.05, which describes the BIND buffer overflow
           vulnerability, and to apply the appropriate patches if you have
           not done so already. This advisory is available from

           http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-98.05.bind_problems.html
           ftp://ftp.cert.org/pub/cert_advisories/CA-98.05.bind_problems

           If you find you have been root compromised, this document
           suggests appropriate steps to take in response:

           http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/root_compromise.html
           ftp://ftp.cert.org/pub/tech_tips/root_compromise

    Noteworthy Incident and Vulnerability Information

        Internet Explorer Vulnerability

        Some versions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer 4 have a
        vulnerability in the way they handle Javascript. This problem can
        permit a maliciously written script to run arbitrary code on a
        user's machine.

        There is a CERT Vulnerability Note describing this problem and
        defenses against it. The vulnerability note is available at

        http://www.cert.org/vul_notes/VN-98.06.ms_jscript.html

    New CERT Security Documents
    - ---------------------------

    The CERT/CC sometimes has incident and vulnerability information that
    may not warrant CERT Summaries or Advisories, but that may have value
    for the Internet community. To easily disseminate that information, we
    have created two new document types: CERT Incident Notes and CERT
    Vulnerability Notes.

        CERT/CC Incident Notes

        Incident notes are an informal and current way to inform the
        Internet community about computer security incidents and changing
        intruder attacks that have been reported to us. There is no set
        schedule for publishing incident notes; they will be created as
        noteworthy incident information becomes available.

        Incident notes are available from

        http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/index.html

        CERT/CC Vulnerability Notes

        We created vulnerability notes as an informal mechanism for
        publishing current information about vulnerabilities.

        Vulnerability notes may contain a wide variety of
        information. Vulnerabilities that do not meet the criteria to
        become CERT advisories may be described in vulnerability notes,
        though some notes contain information similar to that in CERT
        advisories. Other notes contain more informal discussions about
        vulnerabilities.

        Vulnerability notes are available from

        http://www.cert.org/vul_notes/index.html

        We encourage you to periodically check the incident notes and
        vulnerability notes for new information.

    What's New and Updated
    - ----------------------

    Brief notices about new and updated CERT information, such as
    advisories, vendor-initiated bulletins, and incident and vulnerability
    notes, are available from the CERT web site at

    http://www.cert.org/nav/whatsnew.html

    How to Contact the CERT Coordination Center

    Email certat_private

    Phone +1 412-268-7090 (24-hour hotline)

    CERT personnel answer 8:30-5:00 p.m. EST(GMT-5)/EDT(GMT-4), and are on
    call for emergencies during other hours.

    Fax +1 412-268-6989

    Postal address:

    CERT Coordination Center
    Software Engineering Institute
    Carnegie Mellon University
    Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890
    USA

    To be added to our mailing list for CERT advisories and bulletins,
    send your email address to

    cert-advisory-requestat_private

    In the subject line, type

    SUBSCRIBE your-email-address

    CERT advisories and bulletins are posted on the USENET news group:
    comp.security.announce

    CERT publications, information about FIRST representatives, and other
    security-related information are available for anonymous FTP from

    http://www.cert.org/
    ftp://ftp.cert.org/pub/

    If you wish to send sensitive incident or vulnerability information to
    CERT staff by electronic mail, we strongly advise you to encrypt your
    message. We can support a shared DES key or PGP. Contact the CERT
    staff for more information.

    Location of CERT PGP key

    ftp://ftp.cert.org/pub/CERT_PGP.key

    Copyright 1998 Carnegie Mellon University. Conditions for use,
    disclaimers, and sponsorship information can be found in

    http://www.cert.org/legal_stuff/legal_stuff.html and
    ftp://ftp.cert.org/pub/legal_stuff

    If you do not have FTP or web access, send mail to certat_private with
    "copyright" in the subject line.

    * CERT is registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

    NO WARRANTY
    - -----------

    ANY MATERIAL FURNISHED BY CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY AND THE SOFTWARE
    ENGINEERING INSTITUTE IS FURNISHED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS. CARNEGIE
    MELLON UNIVERSITY MAKES NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR
    IMPLIED AS TO ANY MATTER INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTY OF
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR MERCHANTABILITY, EXCLUSIVITY OR
    RESULTS OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE MATERIAL. CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY
    DOES NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND WITH RESPECT TO FREEDOM FROM
    PATENT, TRADEMARK, OR COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

    ----- End forwarded message -----

    --

    [ Paul S. Boehm | paulat_private | http://paul.boehm.org/ | infected@irc ]

    Money is what gives a programmer his resources. It's an exchange system created
    by human beings. It surrounds us. Works for us, binds the economy together.

    ----- End forwarded message -----