Re: Security Hole in Axent ESM

From: Gene Spafford (spafat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 19:21:46 PDT

    Simple checksums can be spoofed trivially.  CRCs are simple checksums.  If
    that is all they use, then they can be spoofed once the algorithm is known.

    Note that Tripwire is now available as a supported commercial product.  Here
    is the file we put up on our ftp site about this:

    In mid-December 1997, Tripwire Security Systems Inc. (formerly Visual
    Computing Corp) acquired the license for our Tripwire change/intrusion
    detection system.  They will be marketing an enhanced, supported
    version of Tripwire for Unix-based machines.  The version 1.3 release
    for Linux & Unix was made in early August 1998.  The folks at Tripwire
    Security Systems are also planning a Windows version of Tripwire for
    release sometimes in mid-fall 1998.

    Gene Kim, my former student and the original author of Tripwire, is
    the VP of TSS, and is directing the Tripwire development. I may have a
    technical advisory role in these efforts.  Thus, there should be some
    real continuity from the original Tripwire into these new and improved
    versions.

    Purdue and COAST made the decision to license Tripwire for development
    so as to ensure that it would be kept up-to-date for newer systems,
    and to provide for appropriate technical support.  We also wanted to
    see the code ported to other operating systems (Windows, in
    particular).  As Tripwire was no longer a supported research project
    within the COAST Lab, this seemed to be the best way of achieving our
    ultimate goals.  Furthermore, any fees that Purdue will collect will
    help to fund assistantships for other students working on security
    solutions in the COAST Lab.

    All future enquiries about Tripwire sales and technical support should
    be directed to:
        Tripwire Security Systems Inc.
        615 SW Broadway
        Portland, Oregon 97205
        Phone: (503) 223-0280
        FAX: (503) 223-0182
        tripwireat_private
        http://www.tripwiresecurity.com

    All technical support questions, bug reports, etc should now be sent
    to the people at Tripwire Security Systems.

    The unsupported and out-of-date 1.2 version of Tripwire continues to
    be available from Purdue, in this directory.  Be sure to read the
    other two README files in this directory before downloading and using
    this version of Tripwire.

    Note that Tripwire is a registered trademark of the Purdue Research
    Foundation, and it is also licensed to VCC.  Tripwire Security Systems
    Inc. is a trademark of Tripwire Security Systems Inc.