Re: buffer overflow in nslookup?

From: Brandon Reynolds (bmrat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 29 1998 - 19:22:26 PDT

    On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Peter van Dijk wrote:

    > *** zopie.attic.vuurwerk.nl can't find AA....AAA: Unspecified error
    > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    > [peter@koek] ~$ nslookup `perl -e 'print "A" x 1000;'`
    > Server:  zopie.attic.vuurwerk.nl
    > Address:  10.10.13.1
    >
    > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    >
    > At first, this does not seem a problem: nslookup is not suid root or anything.
    > But several sites have cgi-scripts that call nslookup... tests show that these
    > will coredump when passed enough characters. Looks exploitable to me...

    The offending line is line 684 in main.c:

        sscanf(string, " %s", host);        /* removes white space */

    It could easily remedied by inserting something like this before it.

        if(strlen(string) > NAME_LEN) {
          fprintf(stderr,"host name too long.\n");
          exit(1);
        }

    The code seems to be littered with sscanf's, but I guess the command line
    is probably the only critical concern since it's not suid.

    Brandon Reynolds                                   bmrat_private
    The University of Akron              (330) 972-6776 fax (330) 374-8630
    Mathematical Sciences                 http://www.math.uakron.edu/~bmr/