wwwthreads discussion forum security holes

From: Ken Williams (jkwilli2at_private)
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 07:16:31 PDT

    Hi,

         The WWW Threads discussion forum software,
    http://www.screamingweb.com/wwwthreads/
    has several security holes and coding weaknesses.  When running the install
    script, the data directories are created in a publicly accessible area.
    The install instructions direct the user to create the data directory in
    a publicly accessible directory under "html" or "public_html" also.
    The data directories contain, among other things, administrator and user
    logins and passwords.  These passwords are written to files in plaintext,
    and the files can easily be viewed and/or downloaded by anyone with a web
    browser.  As far as I can tell, there is no error or bounds checking in the
    administrative cgi scripts either, so exploit code can easily be executed
    remotely once the plaintext passwords are retrieved.

    All platforms using these scripts are affected.

    Suggested fixes:

    1) move the data directories to non-publicly accessible area and correct
       the appropriate lines in the cgi scripts.

    2) remove all (g) and (o) permissions to prevent local exploit.

    3) use the UNIX crypt() function or something similar to encode passwords
       written to files.

    4) add a "referer" variable to the cgi scripts so commands can only be
       executed on local server that has WWW Threads installed.

    There are many other bugs in the WWW Threads scripts, so my personal
    suggestion is to use another discussion forum script or roll your own
    until these problems are fixed.

    These bugs and security holes are present in the latest bugfix release of
    WWW Threads (wwwthreads v2.7.3), and all earlier releases that I have
    checked (2.6.* and 2.7.*).

    The author, rbakerat_private, was notified of these problems on
    Sat, 15 Aug 1998.

    Regards,

    Ken Williams

    Packet Storm Security http://www.Genocide2600.com/~tattooman/index.shtml