Re: ANNOUNCE: secure identd v0.3

From: Wietse Venema (wietseat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 16 1998 - 17:57:28 PDT

    rlimits can be used as a safety net, but I prefer that the program
    itself remains in control of its resource usage. I just don't find
    it very elegant to crash and die on illegal input...

    For example, when all data objects have limited size, and when the
    number of objects instances is limited, so is the amount of memory
    required to hold those objects.

    This just changes some programs into special-purpose cache managers.

    In the days of 16-bit and smaller computers, real programmers had
    to do real work to make their programs actually fit the machine.
    Perhaps I am just showing my age.

            Wietse

    Taral: