Re: SunRPC and slackware 3.4 and 3.5..

From: Patrick J. Volkerding (gonzoat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 12:49:01 PDT

    On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Vincent Janelle wrote:

    > There is apparently a un-released remote root exploit for slackware
    > 3.4-3.5 that involves sunrpc.
    >
    > I realize that normally one should provide more information, but I thought
    > people should know this.

    There was an rpc.mountd overflow hole recently reported here affecting (I
    believe) all versions of Linux that include rpc.mountd.  Slackw
    tcpip1.tgz package was patched against it about two weeks ago (this was
    also reported here).  If there's still another hole, more information will
    be required to do anything about it, but I'm guessing the hole you refer
    to is only affecting people who haven't installed the fixed package.

    ---
    Patrick J. Volkerding
    Slackware Linux Maintainer