Filesystem DoS on SCO Openserver 5

From: Tim Kutergin (timat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 03:56:32 PDT

                    Hi All !

            It seems that I have been hit by bug in HTFS filesystem on SCO
    Openserver 5. The problem is that You could do unlink("..") and this
    operation will be successful (if You have permissions) corrupting
    filesystem. I have discovered this anomaly when investigating constant
    system crashes when users were deleting mailboxes in Cyrus imap server
    1.5.2  There was bad code in imapd that was trying to delete ".." when
    removing mailbox (newer versions of imapd are fixed). So usual user may
    severely damage filesystem by doing unlink("..") in subdirectories, where
    hi has permissions to do this. I had reported this bug to SCO, but they
    replied that I have problems with hardware.

    Sorry for bad English
    Timofey