Globetrotter FlexLM 'lmdown' bogosity

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Fri Sep 25 1998 - 12:31:28 PDT

    --==_Exmh_1555249408P

    Well, here's an oldie but goodie, which we first saw at least 3 years
    ago.  Lo and behold, it's apparently STILL broken.  Sorry, no vendor
    notification - we told them 3 years ago. ;)

    FlexLM 'lmdown' command will chow your license server from anywhere on
    the Internet - all you need is a copy of the license file.  The
    authentication appears to be "Well, you appear to be root on the
    machine that you typed 'lmdown' on".

    In fact, you don't even need the license file.  At least on "(lmgrd)
    FLEXlm (v6.0d)", all you needed was your own file that had 'SERVER
    hostname bozo-number port'.  Changing bozo-number didn't affect the
    ability to shut down the server.  All you probably need to do is
    figure out the packet format, and launch one. ;)

    Any skriptz kiddies looking to write a DOS, here's your chance. ;)

    --
                                    Valdis Kletnieks
                                    Computer Systems Senior Engineer

    --==_Exmh_1555249408P

    -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBNgvvj9QBOOoptg9JAQETjwQAhaoO99M2/jQW2WMQubf2FxhqCwWkpj4P
    QX40Efmo8HHkcVo2ASu22b0poE4m8J1h1FFBOwvM3LqLe/XM2PcE1Puy1YNzewYr
    127/I2G32IbL7WzVonjbGa/ilb9+eMRweyOpgNAR5VI0jBrnkfIlyx9qsGBAvWA5
    IVULA4vMNpo=
    =MPQq
    -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

    --==_Exmh_1555249408P--