Re: 1+2=3, +++ATH0=Old school DoS

From: John M. Flinchbaugh (glynisat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 00:52:40 PDT

    On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Pete Gonzalez wrote:
    > Also, it occurs to me that this vulnerability could possibly be used to
    > make the person's modem hang up and dial 911.  :-)

    this could be a real problem.  one of the early reports stated that the
    attacker managed to take down 30-40% of an irc channel, correct?  so it
    seems to be a bit widespread.

    this could be used to make the modem dial those long-distance
    international pay numbers and such.

    and another observation i've noticed in testing this attack.  the victim
    machine attampts to send the hangup string, drops it's network connection,
    and the response fails to get back to the attacking host.  upon redialing,
    the response is again sent when it tries to flush that connection, and the
    modem goes offline yet again.  i do not know off hand how long it will do
    this, but i witnessed a machine redial nearly 10 times before i finally
    just offlined my own computer, so it would not find me and try to send it
    again.

    another possibility in this little attack would be to reconfigure the
    modem, save the new settings, and online the modem again.  could you see a
    dial up client being reconfigured to max out at a 2400 baud connection? :)

    | -> glynisat_private <-             johnat_private |
    |    glynisat_private      http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |