The Cuartango Security Hole in IE4

From: Aleph One (aleph1at_private)
Date: Mon Oct 12 1998 - 09:36:13 PDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 15:17:41 -0400
    From: Richard M. Smith <rmsat_private>
    To: NTBUGTRAQat_private
    Subject: The Cuartango Security Hole in IE4

    Hello,

    Juan Carlos G. Cuartango of Spain has discovered an
    extremely serious security hole in Internet Explorer 4.  With
    a small amount of JavaScript code on a Web page, a Web
    site operator can steal any file from a user's
    hard disk and automatically uploaded the contents to a Web server.
    More worrisome is that fact that the security hole
    can be also exploited in an HTML-based Email message
    in Outlook Express.  Simply by reading a booby-trapped
    Email message, private files can be stolen from one's
    hard disk.  Most computer users, I suspect, will consider
    this unacceptable product defect.

    Details of the security hole were posted late last week at
    Mr. Cuartango Web site:

         http://pages.whowhere.com/computers/cuartangojc/cuartangoh1.html

    The Web site also contains a demo of the security problem.

    The demo is based on a standard file uploader HTML form. Normally
    only the user can manullay set the name of the file to uploaded
    but IE4 inadvertently allows JavaScript to execute cut and paste functions to set the
    file name.  After the file name is set, JavaScript auto-submits the
    form to upload the file.

    I've tested the demo on three different systems and it worked
    on two of them.  The one system in which the demo failed
    was running the original release of IE4 which came out September
    of last year.  The two systems in which the demo worked
    on were running IE 4.01 which started shipping earlier this
    year.  The demo appears to work both on Windows 95 and
    Windows 98.  It should also work on Windows NT, but I haven't
    had time to test it.

    The bug is also reported to be present in the preview version of IE5.

    According to Juan Carlos's Web site, Microsoft has confirmed
    the bug and is looking now how to fix it.

    Richard M. Smith
    rmsat_private