Re: SU and CHOWN for NT

From: Daemon Agent (reficulat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 10:09:38 PDT

    [note from author, only forwarding this to BUQTRAQ because I haven't seen
    anyone address the "MacFile hack" I describe later on.  If it's worth
    posting, just chop off the 1st half of the message]

    [Mailing Lists wrote]
    > I'm looking for some implementations of SU and CHOWN for NT?

    Hamilton's C Shell has added the su, chown, and chgrp commands to their
    product (see http://www.hamiltonlabs.com/cshell.htm and
    http://www.hamiltonlabs.com/userguid/external.htm for more info).

    MKS Toolkit has em too...
    http://198.73.192.5/solution/tk/cmddef.htm

    I don't seem to remember the GNU-Win32 project including
    su/chown/chgrp binaries with thier toolkit
    (http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/), but I know it supports
    chown() calls.  I *do* seem to remember one of the associated GNU-Win32
    "add ons and updates" pages having these tools.  In any case, the
    GNU-Win32 software is well worth looking into.

    [Mailing Lists]
    > Anyway, if you know of good tools for substituing user or giving ownership
    > of files to someone else, I'd like to hear from you!

    Well, a cheezy way I found to "give ownership" of a file (rather than
    "taking ownership" a.k.a. "the Microsoft buisiness plan") is by using the
    Services for Macintosh.  When you share something as a "Mac Volume Share"
    (which you can only do to NTFS partitions if you couldn't already guess),
    one of the new abilities you get with the MacFile tool is to "assign
    owner" or a file or directory.

    Of course, this way of "giving ownership" only works if you are an
    administrator on the machine with the "Mac Volume Share"...but it can be
    used by unscrupulous admins to peek at files they shouldn't be able to and
    then reassign the correct permissions and ownership to the file
    afterwards, all without having to know or change the original owners
    password (so you could "take back" the ownership).  Argueably, this also
    falls under the "but if your admin anyway..." clause, so take this "hack"
    with a grain of salt.

    -Manny

    ~aaych-tee-tee-pee-colon-slash-slash-dubaya-dubaya-dubaya-dot-pigdog-dot-org~

        http://arlington.com/~reficul/  ***    Your neighborhood entropian
        http://arlington.com/~pmouth/   ***   Beware of subversive cuteness

    ~aaych-tee-tee-pee-colon-slash-slash-dubaya-dubaya-dubaya-dot-pigdog-dot-org~