Referer (was Patches for wwwboard.pl)

From: Lincoln Stein (lsteinat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 13:46:07 PDT

    Michael Blythe writes:
     > In September's 'Web Techniques', Lincoln Stein dicscusses the problem of
     > using the referer header as an authentication method for CGI scripts. He
     > suggests using MD5 to check whether a form's fields have been tampered
     > with. I'm not sure if this would work with the wwwboard, because of the way
     > the script is passing info in hidden fields, but it will work in other
     > applications:
     >  [...]
     > * in perl, the MD5 hash can be computed as follows:
     > $hash = MD5 -> hexhash(MD5->hexhash ($secret) "@untamperable @consistency");

    Even though I wrote this, it turns out that this isn't the best way to
    compute a message authentication code (MAC).  A more secure technique
    is this:

     $hash=MD5->hexhash($secret . MD5->hexhash("$secret @untamperable @consistency"))

    I explain the problems with the original scheme in the October issue
    of Web Techniques.

    Lincoln

    lsteinat_private                                   Cold Spring Harbor, NY