Re: False security in switches and a little more Rconsole.

From: Peter Jeremy (peter.jeremyat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 13 1998 - 14:28:47 PDT

    Chris Zagar <zagarat_private> wrote:
    >> Ok, heres a very simple solution:  Buy a switch.
    >
    >Actually, switches do help, but they also run the risk of people actually
    >believing that their switched connections are private, lulling you into a
    >false sense of security.

    [Description of port monitoring facilities deleted]

    And quite apart from the documented and intentional port monitoring
    facilities, the switch may leak packets.

    I have a number of systems attached via switch ports to our backbone
    (for traffic purposes).  Last year I took some traffic samples from a
    machine connected to one brand of switch.  I recently repeated the
    test with a different brand of switch.  In both cases, there were
    about 2 packets per second (around 2% of the segment traffic) that
    were unicast, and not intended for the machine that received them.

    Moral: Don't rely on your switch for security.

    Peter
    --
    Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremyat_private
    Alcatel Australia Limited