Re: buffer overflow vulnerability in netscape 3.0 to 4.5

From: Paul Boehm (pbat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 10:43:29 PDT

    On Fri, Oct 23, 1998 at 07:31:30PM +0200, I wrote:
    > Netscape is working on a patch.

    oh, and I almost forgot (in fact, i did):
    Netscape posted a workaround to their webpage that protects you against
    this specific overflow, but also prevents existing plugins from working.

    see:
    http://www.netscape.com/products/security/resources/bugs/mimebufferoverflow.html

    To quote their page, do the following to protect you:
      1.In Communicator, select Preferences from the Edit menu.
      2.In the Preferences dialog box, select the Navigator category.
      3.Select Applications.
      4.On the Description list, select the * entry and handled by Plug-in: Netscape
        Default.
      5.Click on the Edit button.
      6.Set Handled By to Unknown: PromptUser.
      7.Restart Navigator or Communicator.

    bye,
        paul

    | mail: pbat_private   :: url: http://paul.boehm.org               |
    | irc:  infected            :: pgp: finger pbat_private | pgp -fka |
     \.....Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside..../