"Default for floppy device increased from 600 to 666"

From: Jarkko Hietaniemi (jhiat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 11:08:11 PDT

    It's rather amazing what (PC-minded?) marketing can make of a
    conscious security relaxation.  The latest maintenance release of
    Digital UNIX contains among other features:

            Default for floppy device increased from 600 to 666

    (http://www.unix.digital.com/announcements/index.html)

    I am no more in the position to raise hell over such stupidity,
    perhaps someone who still is a Dig^WCompaq customer _or_ works for
    Digital could see what's the story.  Partly it's amusing: that
    something this minuscule warrants a mention in the "executive
    summary", partly it's sad to think for what no doubt useless reason
    this change was made.

    --
    $jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/~jhi/
            # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen