Re: CDE for Linux

From: bandreggat_private
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 18:43:22 PDT

    On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:11:50 -0700, Susan Carney wrote:
    >As many of you know, in September Red Hat announced that Netscape and
    >Intel were taking equity positions in Red Hat. Also, within this month
    >all commercial products that Red Hat sold were dropped. The leading ones
    >were TED and Applix. They were dropped for different reasons.

    I can personally attest that these two events are unrelated and to see them
    mentioned in the same paragraph is gross innuendo.

    >On September 25, 1998 Red Hat announced that they were dropping their
    >CDE product (TED) because of a "security hole". They cited the following
    >CERT:
    >
    >http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-98.11.tooltalk.html
    >
    >In actuality, TriTeal and Red Hat were in discussions about fixing this
    >CERT, and updating the product to a more current version. But, instead
    >they decided to drop the product. In my opinion I think they wanted to
    >remain an open source product - and thus dropped both TED and Applix.

    While it is true that Red Hat is dedicated to Open Source software and
    certainly moving in that direction it is also true that the costs involved in
    fixing a product so horribly insecure and not being able to release the source
    fixes was the main reason.

    After all, we aren't giving refunds just because we sold a binary only product.

    --
                    Bryan C. Andregg * <bandreggat_private> * Red Hat Software

    "Hey, wait a minute, you clowns are on dope!"
            -- Owen Cheese in 'Shakes the Clown'