Re: buffer overflow vulnerability in netscape 3.0 to 4.5

From: Michael Tomaino (tomainoat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 18:06:46 PDT

    Paul Boehm wrote:

    > On Fri, Oct 23, 1998 at 07:31:30PM +0200, I wrote:
    > > Netscape is working on a patch.
    >
    > oh, and I almost forgot (in fact, i did):
    > Netscape posted a workaround to their webpage that protects you against
    > this specific overflow, but also prevents existing plugins from working.

    Just to follow this up..  (I'm sure you all can probably read this
    yourselves)

    To quote more of the page :
    "Setting this prompt will not impair your ability to view pages with
    other plug-ins you already have installed and you will retain the
    ability to manually download and install new plug-ins as you need them.
    "

    So there actually is no downside..

    Mike.