Re: Printer Sharing and M1CR0S0FT Windows98

From: Ryan Russell (ryanrat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 12:22:10 PST

    >This share does not share everything per se.  Rather it appears to be
    >somehow selective.  For example, the password lists (username.pwl) are not
    >shared, neither are many of the directories under there.  The
    >sub-directories that were shared on my system were:

    That doesn't match my experience.  On my Win95A, Win95B, and Win98
    machines, the entire \windows\system directory is shared out
    (read-only) hidden files, subdirectories and all.  You don't see .pwl
    files because they live in c:\windows, not c:\windows\system.

    >Simply placing a file in that directory named x.dll isn't sufficient to
    >enable it's appearance in the list.  The entry must be elsewhere, perhaps
    >the registry.

    Every one of my files is there.

    >Easy way to make a difficult-to-detect trojan, add more files to the share
    >list under PRINTER$ then quitely take the files when nobody is looking.

    This would be a great place to drop your collected information, if
    printer sharing was already on.

    BTW, on a this thread, I had a couple of notes back and forth with Paul
          Leach,

    and he says MS does not consider this a problem, and they won't be changing
          it.

    They were CC'd to the list.. I don't know why Aleph1 didn't forward them.
          I certainly

    thought them pertinant.

                                  Ryan