Re: SSH Communications page on rootshell.com

From: Mitch Vincent (rootat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 12:33:48 PST

    Ok Ok
    Which is it people?

    You have 3 security organizations saying
    "The IBM analysis shows however that either the Linux operating system or
    GCC compiler may have a problem which manifests itself as a bug in Secure
    Shell. In any case, this is not a bug in Secure Shell itself. The results
    with Linux are also preliminary as IBM was not able to do the exploit with
    clean builds of Linux either. "

    At the same time saying there aren't exploitable vulnerabilities with SSHD,
    if there is a problem as described above that "manifests" itself in Secure
    Shell then it IS a problem with Secure Shell, no matter how indirect. I
    understand the authors of Secure Shell want to save face by not admitting
    there is a potential problem and I understand rootshell's embarrassment of
    being hacked. *BUT* We all need an answer to this question:

    "Is it possible to gain unauthorized root access to a machine using SSH?"

    I'm tired of "patch kits" being released to software that the author says
    isn't vulnerable and all these IBM-Cert-Whatever memo's going around if
    there is no problem. Stop with the run around people, just give everyone a
    straight answer.

    (This is not a rant to bugtraq or anyone specifically, just in general about
    the entire issue)

    Thanks!