Re: X11 cookie hijacker

From: der Mouse (mouseat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 08:39:02 PST

    > XFree86 is still waiting for someone to come up with a real solution
    > to the problem.

    >> Potential solutions:

    >> - set the sticky bit on /tmp/.X11-unix, make sure the bit stays
    >>    there

    This loses big as soon as a second user tries to fire up an X server
    after the first one has exited.

    >> - make it world-unwritable, make sure it stays this way (this works
    >>    if all your Xservers run with some extra privileges)

    But only then.  Lots of servers don't.

    >> - special Solaris option: put /tmp/.X11-{unix,pipe} into
    >>    /etc/logindevperm (assumption: the user sitting at the console is
    >>    the only who uses X)

    The assumption may be false and the Solaris is not the only OS.

    >> - abolish Unix-domain X11 sockets and use TCP only (giving up
    >>    MIT-SHM etc)

    Which will cripple hosts that don't do TCP as well as people who need
    the performance improvement MIT-SHM and the like give.

    > I assume from this list that you don't have a real solution?

    In the right contexts, any of those could be a real solution - the
    problems I've listed are not necessarily problems in any particular
    installation.

    If you want us to come up with your idea of a "real solution", first
    you'll have to clarify what that means.  I have a couple of ideas, but
    I'm not about to get into a cycle of proposing an idea only to have it
    dismissed as a non-"real" solution without any indication what I have
    to do to it to make it more "real".

                                            der Mouse

                                   mouseat_private