Re: various *lame* DoS attacks

From: puppet (puppetat_private)
Date: Sat Nov 07 1998 - 14:22:35 PST

    On Fri, 6 Nov 1998 01:46:17 -0600, you wrote:

    The problem with a timeout not shutting down the port was fixed almost a
    month ago.  Spoofing is always a problem, that is why the script was
    written such that channel takeovers are not possible.

    puppet

    >2) CPU DoS against NukeNabber (NT only?)
    >
    >I haven't tested this on anything other than Windows NT 4.0 SP3
    >(Workstation & Server)
    >
    >How it works:
    >
    >NukeNabber listens on several ports for connections.  You can configure it
    >to listen on any port, but the standards are 1080, etc.
    >If you telnet to the port of a machine that NukeNabber is listening on,
    >NukeNabber apparently spawns a process called Report.exe.  This process
    >lasts anywhere from 30-90 seconds, and consumes ~100% CPU.  The problem
    >with this is fairly obvious.  (note: when connecting to a port that
    >NukeNabber is listening on, it's important that you don't type anything.
    >Just let the connection sit and time out.)
    >
    >Fix:
    >
    >Unsure
    >
    >Has the author been notified?
    >
    >Yes, about 6 weeks ago.  I received no reply.
    >

    >While we're on the subject of NukeNabber, I'll point something else out.
    >NukeNabber has a nifty feature that establishes a DDE link with an IRC
    >client. (mIRC or pirch)  There are scripts written for both clients that
    >have the option to kick/ban any host found to be "nuking" from all the
    >channels that you're oped in, and can also /ignore them.  This can become
    >interesting when someone has a version of WinNuke that can spoof a source
    >IP.  If a person has the kick/ban/ignore feature active, you can turn them
    >against the people in their channels quite easily.  Again, lots of fun to
    >be had here. (I believe the only "nuke" that NukeNabber listens for is a
    >WinNuke.)

    ---
    Get NukeNabber 2.9a & The Cleaner 1.9d @ http://www.dynamsol.com/puppet/
    Read the NN FAQ @ http://www.dynamsol.com/puppet/faqs/nnfaq.html
    PGP Key ID: B4066BF1 Fingerprint: FF3E 9A24 E08C 69BB C318  F702 FBCF 3DC4 B406 6BF1