Re: tcpd -DPARANOID doesn't work, and never did

From: Chip Christian (chipat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 07:19:39 PST

    wietseat_private said:
    > (4) some other application, not tcpd, does address->name lookup
    >     and uses the result for "authentication" purposes.

    A number of years back smb pointed out the folly of r_cmds.c using #4
    alone for authentication, so having the source for SunOS we were able to
    patch in #1-2 long before Sun got around to it.  I hope that nobody ships
    code like that anymore.  This had nothing to do with TTL, of course.  And
    rshd that uses 1+2 should also be not vulnerable to a TTL attack.  Cache
    poisoning was also pointed out and fixed probably as many years ago, also
    thanks to smb if I recall correctly.