Re: [Fwd: NOTE: Solaris 7 gotcha for some ultras]

From: Paul Murphy (pjm@GEMINI-RESEARCH.CO.UK)
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 02:37:56 PST

    >Got a surprise when I finally installed the non-beta version of Solaris 7
    >on my Ultra-2 today.  It booted to 32-bit mode instead of 64-bit, claiming
    > my hardware defaulted to 32-bit mode.
    >
    > The message at boot time said to see the boot(1m) man page, so I
    > looked, and there it was at the bottom:
    >
    >     On systems containing 200MHz or lower  UltraSPARC-1  proces-
    >     sors,  it  is  possible  for  a user to run a 64-bit program
    >     designed to exploit a problem that could cause  a  processor
    >     to  stall.  Since  64-bit  progams  cannot run on the 32-bit
    >     kernel, the 32-bit kernel is chosen as the default  file  on
    >     these  systems.

    This shouldn't come as a surprise, since Sun are talking openly about it
    in their Solaris 7 seminars for system administrators (which you _have_
    attended, right?).  The problem is restricted to older systems, and their
    advice was that if you were at all worried about this, you should run the 32-
    bit kernel for peace of mind.  Later processors are unaffected.

    If they'd put the 64-bit kernel in by default, you'd criticise them for leaving
    a security hole in the system.....

    Paul.

    Paul J. Murphy - Head of I.T.
    Gemini Research Ltd, 162 Science Park, Cambridge
    Phone: 01223 435305     Fax: 01223 435301